Even though Steven is just three-years-old, we think it is important to get him used to doing chores on a regular basis and taking some responsibility for the day-to-day happenings in our home. We picked easy chores that he can complete on his own and that he can do every day, and this is what we came up with: (1) Make bed, (2) Feed dogs, (3) Help with dishes, (4) Pick up toys. I think we can add more chores as he gets older and can handle more tasks..
To make this fun, Steven and I created a chore chart. We took pictures of the four daily tasks and put them on a piece of paper next to a table so he can track his progress. When he finishes a chore, he gets to stamp his chore chart.
Right now he doesn't care about rewards - the excitement of stamping his chart is enough to keep him motivated. It has been one week since we posted the chart and he is only missing a few stamps (three days of unmade beds – that is my fault too. We both have to get in the habit of doing this first thing in the morning). Good work, Steven!
9 years ago
2 comments:
What a great idea! I love the chart and the stamps! Did you just start this? I'd love to do something like that for Henry, but I think it is a little too soon at this point... He'd just want to stamp everything but the chore chart.
Yes, we just started this a week ago. He wasn't mature enough for it until recently... If I would have started it any sooner, stamps on the wall would have been the result. :)
Post a Comment