Sunday, August 24, 2008

Charity's new job

I have started a new job this month. I am officially a math teacher for COVA (Colorado Virtual Academy). My good friend Shantelle works for COVA and she loves it, so I decided to give it a chance. I get to work from home, which is great because I didn't want to go back to work and leave Steven in daycare. For the past two weeks, though, the job has been a ton of work! I have some help (Opa, Daddy, and Steven's favorite baby-sitter Brittany) come over to keep an eye on my little trouble-maker while I get caught up on grading, online teaching, phone calls, the works! I think that this job is going to be a wonderful opportunity - I just need to get past the first few weeks!

Some of my friends and family ask, "So what do you do all day?" Good question! Mostly, I manage the students' course home page by replying to their posts, grading their assignments, and uploading assignments and calendars. My favorite thing to do so far is the synchronous part – I get to host weekly teaching sessions where the students come listen to me on a microphone and get help with their math. We can chat, write on a whiteboard, and talk back and forth. The technology is amazing and I am learning a lot about education. Even after six years on the job, I feel like a first-year teacher!

As I mentioned above, the best part about this job is working close to Steven. Here he is following in Mommy’s footsteps, telling me all about the fish on the monitor.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Charity - I've recently started teaching online, too, and like you I am stunned by the amount of work and maintenance a single class requires. I'm generally pretty organized, but I lost entire days to the computer!

It's good that there's some kind of synchronous requirement with your students. Many of the college students I work with online think that the course is self-paced or independent, so they proceed without taking advantage of the chat or im capabilities that the class platform provides. Then again, it would just be more work for them. :) Glad to hear you're enjoying the new experience! - Becky

Azure said...

That picture of Steven is so cute!! That's a pretty neat setup you've got with teaching online and all. Sounds a little intense!! I hope that it gets easier for you.

Candice@The Fellas and I said...

Congrats on the job. It is awesome that you get to work and be with your baby all day. Lucky!