I read this passage the other day and I LOVED it.
"Were you afraid that this person would eclipse you, would occlude your very being, that your life would become the baby and nothing else, and that - and this is the most important thing - you wouldn't mind?"
- Joanna Smith Rakoff A Fortunate Age: A Novel
This is amazing. Not only does it have some neat words (eclipse as a verb and occlude - cool!), but it really speaks to me and my experiences with motherhood. Having babies has really changed my life. So much of what I used to do and be is gone or transformed. Most of my priorities from five years ago aren't even things I think about these days. And you know what... I don't mind! I love my new and improved priorities. While I may say the words "poop, "no," and "be careful" more than I ever hoped to, I also get to experience incredible joy and pride as I watch my amazing boys grow into wonderful people. Yes, my life has been taken over by these little kids, but I wouldn't change a thing!
I have one obvious example of life before and after kids below. You mothers out there can probably relate. :)
Before kids, I would leave the house carrying four things: my driver's license, debit card, cell phone, and keys. I wasn't the purse-carrying sort of girl and I hated excess baggage. I was out the door and on my way in just a few minutes.
Now...
I am overwhelmed by the impedimenta that comes with having two children! Strollers, diaper bags (stuffed to the brim), snacks, car seats, etc. Leaving the house is a process that requires practice and extreme skills in organization. My boys and I can usually get our gear together and be on the road in about ten minutes, but I still intend to fine tune this routine in hopes of a five-minutes-or-less ordeal. We'll see.
Nonetheless, I love my kids!
No comments:
Post a Comment