Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Two milestones for the week

Lucky me! Grant has blessed our family with two milestones this week, and while I am proud of his accomplishments, they are not my favorite in all of his developmental breakthroughs.  (Matt, on the other hand, may be proud of his boy for the second one.)

  1. Grant has a tooth!  Crazy - I was definitely not expecting this so early.  On the day he turned six-months old, his bottom right tooth popped out from under his gums.  For many reasons (Steven didn't get a tooth until almost ten months, Grant has been very happy and wasn't showing any of the teething signs, I am in total denial that my kids are growing up, etc.), I wasn't ready for the sharp little sucker to make its appearance... but it's here.  For the last two days, he's been a little annoyed with the assault on his gums, but it hasn't been bad.  He chews on his hands a lot, drools all over the place (especially on my shoulder - it has become his favorite gnawing spot), and is a petulant little boy in the evening.  I hope it is over soon and that the new tooth stays FAR away from me during milk time.
  2. Grant had his first smelly poop!  Don't get the wrong impression - he has been pooping frequently for the last six months and I am not particularly fond of the stench that accompanies his diapers; however, breastmilk-only poops are not that bad.  Since he has been eating rice cereal, oatmeal, prunes, and bananas, the consistency and odor of his diapers has changed, and today his dirty diaper was pretty foul.  (Matt, I know you are proud!)  Of course, my little stinker had to wait until we made a trip out in public to "drop a deuce" (that's for you, Quentin!), and I had to change him in the bathroom at the library.  On the plus side, the dirty diaper isn't sitting in a trash can or diaper pail at my house. Oh the stench!
 So there you have it.  I am one lucky mom.   :)

No comments: