Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sleep deprived?

It's true... I am!  Life with a newborn means less sleep than I want.  Unfortunately, I am a person who requires a lot of sleep.  On a given night, I could easily snooze for eight to ten hours.  If I get less than eight hours, I don't wake up quite as happy or refreshed.  Grant has been a pretty easy baby, and he sleeps four to five hours at a time during the night, but I just want more sleep!  I know it will be easier soon enough, but last night was a rough one.

Last night, little Grant slept seven straight hours!  Seven!  It was amazing, and I'd like to say that I was able to enjoy the nice long stretch.  However, work, Steven, and a restless night made it just another sleepless evening.  Here's how our night went...

6:30pm:  We took Steven and Grant to the park to burn some energy.  Well, Steven played at the park.  Grant slept in the baby Bjorn.

7:30pm:  We came home from the park.  Matt got Steven ready for bed while I fed Grant and swaddled him up for the evening.

8:00pm:  Steven was asleep, Grant was falling asleep.

8:30pm - 11:30pm:  I worked, Matt did homework, Steven and Grant snoozed. 

11:30pm - 1:30am:   SLEEP!  YES!  I was able to sleep for two straight hours!

1:30am:  Steven woke up suddenly (maybe a nightmare) and came into our room crying.  This rarely happens, so we let him crawl into our bed and I tickled his back until he fell asleep.

2:00am - 3:00am:  SLEEP!  I enjoyed another hour (sleep count at this point = three hours)

3:00am:  Grant woke up hungry.  I went to the nursery and fed him.

3:45am - 6:00am:  I went back to bed, but I couldn't sleep.  I was restless and Steven kept kicking off the covers so I was cold.  Grrrrr!

6:00am - 7:00am: SLEEP!  I was able to sleep for another glorious hour (sleep count = four hours)

7:00am:  Grant woke up for the day, which means that my night (and my opportunity for sleep) was over.



Hopefully Grant continues the long stretches at night.  One of these days, I won't have much work in the evening and I will be able to enjoy seven straight hours of sleep. 

No comments: